Tuesday, December 13, 2005

presents!

At this time of the year it's hard to think of anything else. What to give all the special people in your life. People asking you what you would like to recieve. It always seems so overwelming, daunting and stressful. I don't think it's supposed to be like this! Chris and I have decided to implement a 3 gift rule this year, everyone gets only 3 gifts(like the original Christmas). We really want to teach our kids that there is more than recieving gifts at this special time of the year. I want them to reach out to people in need. There are so many people out there who don't have half of what we do.
I remember one Christmas when I was 16, my parents volunteered their time and mine to serve dinner at the Salvation Army in downtown Hamilton. I was so full of myself, such a selfish teenager. My goodness I was in such a snit, thinking how unpleasant this was going to be to have to spend those hours with those "homeless" people. It ended up being such a moving and eye opening experience. I was so humbled. I'll never forget the gratitude I saw in those people's eyes as I scooped out their mashed potatoes. Who knows the next time they would have another hot meal. Their exteriors may have needed a wash, but you could feel the warmth in their hearts as they smiled at you. And they all stopped to say thankyou, thank you for doing this on Christmas day. I so needed that to get my head out of my own behind and think about the true meaning of Christmas. It's a celebration of Christ's birth, a time to give. Family. Love. I never want my kids to take for granted the luxury of a warm bed to sleep in, and food in the cupboards like I did. I think this afternoon when Bree comes home, I'm going to take her with money from the piggy bank and give it to one of the salvation army kettles. I know at 4 years old she likely won't get it. But you have to start somewhere right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim Sanderson said...

What a wonderful idea and yes you need to start somewhere!

9:15 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Just Rhonda said...

That is beautifully written Patti! Love it and I totally agree. Awesome idea about only 3 presents!!!

8:14 AM, December 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home